A formal exceptionality, identified by an Identification Placement and Review Committee (IPRC), in the category of Behaviour.
• Offer the student choices for learning activities and the order in which to complete tasks.
• Break down multiple step instructions; consider the use of checklists.
• Make an effort to positively build rapport with the student.
• When possible, speak to the student in private to avoid an audience.
• Develop alternate programming for the student that meet the student’s needs, based on current level of achievement/baseline.
• Develop a regular communication system with parents/guardians.
• Reinforce positive behaviours as much as possible.
• Consider referral to a non-teacher professional for assessment.
• Alcohol-Related Neuro-developmental Disorder (ARND)
• Angelman Syndrome
• Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (AD/HD)
• Asperger's Syndrome
• Autistic Disorder
• Bipolar Disorder
• Childhood Disintegrative Disorder (CDD)
• Conduct Disorder (CD)
• Fetal Alcohol Syndrome/Fetal Alcohol Effects (FAS/FAE)
• Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)
• Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
• Pervasive Development Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS)
• Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTS)
• Rett's Disorder
See also the teaching strategies for these related areas of student need: (show/hide)• Aggression Management
• Anger/Frustration Management Skills
• Attention Skills
• Emotional Regulation
• Listening Skills
• Non-Verbal Reasoning
• Personal Safety
• Self-Advocacy Skills
• Self-Regulatory Skills
• Sequencing Skills
• Social Skills
• Task Initiation
• Time Management Skills
• Transition Skills
• Verbal Ability
Student and Family Resources to Share: Free family and individual counseling is available in Ontario
• New Path
• Children’s Mental Health Ontario
• Hincks-Dellcrest Center for the Treatment of Mental Health
• Kids' Help Phone
What to watch for and communicate immediately to administrator, if observed.
Learning and behaviour checklist
Tips on programming, teaching, preventing, transitioning, expectations and consequences.