A formal exceptionality, identified by an Identification Placement and Review Committee (IPRC), in the category of Behaviour.
• Offer the student choices for learning activities and the order in which to complete tasks.
• Break down multiple step instructions; consider the use of checklists.
• Make an effort to positively build rapport with the student.
• When possible, speak to the student in private to avoid an audience.
• Develop alternate programming for the student that meet the student’s needs, based on current level of achievement/baseline.
• Develop a regular communication system with parents/guardians.
• Reinforce positive behaviours as much as possible.
• Consider referral to a non-teacher professional for assessment.
• Alcohol-Related Neuro-developmental Disorder (ARND)
• Angelman Syndrome
• Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (AD/HD)
• Asperger's Syndrome
• Autistic Disorder
• Bipolar Disorder
• Childhood Disintegrative Disorder (CDD)
• Conduct Disorder (CD)
• Fetal Alcohol Syndrome/Fetal Alcohol Effects (FAS/FAE)
• Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)
• Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
• Pervasive Development Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS)
• Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTS)
• Rett's Disorder
See also the teaching strategies for these related areas of student need: (show/hide)• Aggression Management
• Anger/Frustration Management Skills
• Attention Skills
• Emotional Regulation
• Listening Skills
• Non-Verbal Reasoning
• Personal Safety
• Self-Advocacy Skills
• Self-Regulatory Skills
• Sequencing Skills
• Social Skills
• Task Initiation
• Time Management Skills
• Transition Skills
• Verbal Ability
Student and Family Resources to Share: Free family and individual counseling is available in Ontario
• New Path
• Children’s Mental Health Ontario
• Hincks-Dellcrest Center for the Treatment of Mental Health
• Kids' Help Phone
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition
What to watch for and communicate immediately to administrator, if observed.
Learning and behaviour checklist
Tips on programming, teaching, preventing, transitioning, expectations and consequences.