An area of student need, involving difficulty with following logical steps to solve a problem.
• Pair visual/concrete objects with ordering activities.
• Develop and use “how to” steps for curriculum expectations.
• Use mnemonics for the student to remember steps.
• Use graphic organizers for the student to record ordered information.
• Use prediction questions involving sequencing.
• Use computers and/or assistive technology (Inspirations for graphic organizers to assist text development).
• Use numbers and letters to represent order.
• Use colour coding for ordering story parts (beginning=green, middle=yellow, end=red).
• Use cloze activities, where one part is missing for the student to complete, and gradually increase the number of missing parts.
• Consider referral to the school board’s speech-language pathology and/or psychology staff.