An area of student need, involving hygiene, dressing, toileting and/or eating.
• Implement strategies suggested by an occupational and/or physical therapist.
• Develop and implement alternate programming on the student’s IEP, pertaining to personal care, self-advocacy, peer social skills, etc.
• Provide extra time for personal care needs to be met.
• Develop a schedule for staff support for the student.
• Assess the current level of functioning and plan for tasks that the student can do.
• Allow extra time for task completion.
• Use assistive technology.
• Encourage and reward efforts in self-care.
• Privately talk to the student about self-care.