What it is
Outlining assistive technology software programs support the writing process by collecting ideas and information in any order and then providing organization choices for sentence and paragraph development.
• Directly instruct students on how to use available graphic organizer programs.
• Model effective strategies for learning, as teachers learn new programs along with students.
• Use graphic organizer programs regularly as part of whole class instructional lessons for various subjects, using a projector.
• Consider developing or providing basic instructions on how to access and get started on using the programs.
• Regularly require the use of graphic organizer programs for all students in various subject areas.
• Ensure use of graphic organizer programs for students with it listed as an accommodation in their IEP, for all writing tasks.
• Conference with small groups on the use of graphic organizer programs.
• Select student leaders to mentor other students on graphic organizer programs.
• Consider doing a trial of testing students’ writing without graphic organizers and then with graphic organizer.
• Provide students with free down load information for home use of graphic organizers.
• Inform parents of graphic organizer programs and their benefits.
• Access school and board supports for additional resources and training on graphic organizer programs.