An area of student needs, involving difficulty with expression of feelings appropriately.
• Directly/explicitly teach lessons on feelings and social skills.
• Give the student advance warning of changes.
• Have regular communication with the home.
• Track behaviours to determine triggers.
• Positively reinforce efforts and improvements.
• Focus on the student’s strengths, and provide opportunities for success.
• Implement a variety of Differentiated Instruction teaching methods.
• Provide frequent breaks with physical activity.
• Use “talk aloud” to model appropriate ways of dealing with feelings.
• Develop a list with the student of appropriate responses to feelings.
• Teach stress reduction methods.
• Provide a time-out/cool down location for the student.
• Access and provide counseling information.
• Implement strategies from other professionals that may be working with the student.
• Provide and practice scripts for the student to apply in specific situations.
• Consider referral to the school board speech and language and/or psychology staff.
An outline of rational and irrational fears, types of phobias and behavioural therapy treatment from The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids).
An overview of different milestones children experience as well as parenting strategies from The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids).
Numerous resources organized by topic.
Symptoms and strategies.